| Assistant Controller – Brilliant Earth |
Brilliant Earth is one of the fastest growing ecommerce jewelers in the world, and the leader in ethical origin fine jewelry. Founded in 2005, we have been featured in Newsweek, Glamour, the Today Show, and Martha Stewart among many other media outlets. We are a team of dedicated individuals with a common goal of creating a more sustainable, transparent, and compassionate jewelry industry.
We are searching for bright and passionate people who are excited to make an impact from day one and grow with the company to take on greater responsibility over time. We are collaborative, hard-working team players that welcome challenges and rise to any occasion. Our open workspace in the heart of Denver encourages conversation and collaboration. From cross-departmental meetings to frequent happy hours, Brilliant Earth team members bring a top notch attitude and a willingness to help each other grow.
Everyone at Brilliant Earth has a voice – we want to hear yours! If you are interested in growing with Brilliant Earth, send us a resume and cover letter letting us know why you are interested in joining our mission and our team. Please include a sentence about your favorite shape of diamond.
Brilliant Earth is hiring a hands-on Assistant Controller. The Assistant Controller is responsible for production of accurate and timely financial statements. This position will also be responsible for managing Accounts Payable/billing and ensuring compliance with regulatory & tax filings. Additionally, this position is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting practices and procedures, and internal controls in conformity to US GAAP. The ideal candidate will have a forward thinking approach to efficient accounting processes.
As the Assistant Controller, you will be responsible for a wide range of accounting processes, including general ledger preparation, management of year-end audit, communication and implementation of efficient accounting policies and processes and support of actual to budget variance analysis. In conjunction with the VP of Finance & Technology, the Assistant Controller will be responsible for timely and accurate monthly and year end close and Financial Statement production. This position will also be responsible for leading key accounting process projects.
The ideal person for this role thrives in fast-paced startup environments and has demonstrated an ability to be effective with finite resources. The ideal candidate will be comfortable operating in a very hands-on fashion, and be comfortable getting into the details of individual accounting and billing transactions. We have a social and environmental mission at the core of our company and are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about helping us achieve our social goals, as well as our business goals. This position requires on site attendance in our Denver office location. We are not accepting remote applicants at this time.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage the accurate and timely preparation of the company’s general ledger for month and year-end close, including the preparation of financial statements
- Develop and implement internal controls and processes across the organization to drive best practices, improve efficiencies and ensure US GAAP compliance
- Manage external audit and quarterly review process; liaise with external auditors
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Manage, develop, and recruit small accounting/billing team, including A/P and A/R
- Support the preparation of Board of Directors presentation materials
- Support and be an active member of project teams
- Act as a liaison between the Finance team and Sales, Operations and Marketing regarding accounting processes and procedures
- Respond to inquiries from the VP of Finance & Technology, Senior Leadership and company managers
- BS degree in Accounting preferred (CPA a plus)
- 5+ years’ experience in accounting
- Excellent understanding of accounting principles and experience in applying principles in practice
- Experience in closing a general ledger and/or audit, account reconciliation, JE preparation and support
- Highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly organized
- Intermediate experience with ERP systems, NetSuite a plus
- Ability to work across an organization with very good communication skills
- Ability to quickly assimilate an understanding of business operations
- Experience developing and improving internal controls
- Experience with a range of tax and regulatory filings
- Experience working with external auditors
- Retail or e-commerce experience/exposure preferred
- Ability to handle long-term projects and urgent tasks seamlessly
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional time management skills and accountability
- Ability to think critically and adapt quickly in a flexible environment
- Team player with an ability to work collaboratively
- Entrepreneurial spirit / self-starter
- Strong computer skills
- Interest in socially and environmentally responsible organizations and products